Thursday, August 26, 2010

Procrastination Is the Spice of Life

Not really, but it does keep things interesting.  Remember my homework?  Well, I started it on Monday, but then, around bedtime on Tuesday (actually well past bedtime when she got out of bed and was chasing her brother around upstairs--what?) RNR finally told me that the whole project was not due until Thursday (originally she had told me that she "guessed" it was due back the very next day which turned into two days, which finally turned into three).  That little piece of information might have been useful earlier in the afternoon, but no bother.  I decided to wait until later in the week to finish now that I had scads of time.  Yes, you don't have to tell me that I should have known better. 

Enter Wednesday.  After dinner I was beyond exhausted.  This getting up at 6:45 (yes, AM, smartypants) does not sit very well with me.  I've always been partial to 9:00.  9:00 loves me, and I trained all of my babies to sleep until this wonderful hour.  Unfortunately, I was unable to convince our school district to go along with this part of my plan.  In fact, they moved the elementary start time up by ten minutes this year.  The nerve! 

At any rate, I had not finished my homework essay, but my eyes would not stay open another minute.  It could have been getting up at 6:45, running two morning carpools, the marathon trip to Sam's, the three other grocery type stores I frequented with a reluctant four year old, the afternoon walk to school, the hour at the park, the walk home, Bonus Baby's thirty minute meltdown over losing a potato chip on the city trail during the walk home, doing other homework, or cooking dinner.  Or possibly the large adult beverage that I imbibed with dinner because of the thirty minute potato chip meltdown.  I went to bed at 9 pm and set the alarm for 5:45, so that I could get up to finish my homework.  It was a good plan.  Okay, the best plan would have been to finish the homework earlier in the week, but I had proscrastinated and now would have to pay the penalty.
For some reason at 3:00 in the morning, Miss Proper decided that a stranger had entered our home.  Of course, she had to share that information with me and roused me from my absolutely fantastic slumber.  After reassuring her that the alarm was set and that if an intruder had indeed intruded that the whole house would be shaking with siren, she went right back to bed and immediately went back to sleep.  Me--I'm wide awake in America.  And since I was up, I figured I had better finish the homework. 

It turned out reasonably well considering it was completed at 3:30 in the morning (sounds a little like what I said about the concluding chapter of my thesis).  I hope those seven and eight year olds enjoy hearing about the one-sip paper straws in my lunch room.  I even printed my homework out on my brand new printer and hung it on the refrigerator with a German beer stein magnet.  It's not my best work.  The New Yorker won't be calling me or anything, but it is finished.        

1 comment:

  1. Clearly something you forgot to mention this morning. ; )